In 1915 the directors of Treasure Island, the Philadelphia Council Camp, recreating the spirit of the past, organized the Unami Lodge of Wimachtendienk, W. W. Its meetings and ceremonials were held in a bit of woods set aside from the regular camp. Here they established a council ring. At the end of each camping period, the scouts previously chosen by each troop were inducted, into this, the beginning of the Order. So successful was this program and of such advantage to both the camp and the boy’s troop that many neighboring councils adopted the Order and gave it a central place in the Camping program.
Shortly after World War I the permanent organization of the Order on a National basis was undertaken. The first National meeting was held on October 7, 1921 and a National Lodge composed of four delegates from each of the constituent local lodges was formed and took over the affairs of the Order, adopted a constitution and appointed committees to develop further details. Successive national meetings have been held until it is now a bi-annual affair.
In November 1929, a movement was started pointing to the adoption of the Order by the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America. In 1934 the Order was formally approved by the National Council as a part of the Senior Scout program. In the silver anniversary year, 1940, over 15,000 boys enjoyed the program in 156 lodges and were a real benefit to their camps and to the leaders of their troops.
ANICUS LODGE was charted in 1933 and was inducted by the Kuwewanik Lodge of Pittsburgh. Twenty-two members were taken in this first year. Under the leadership of chiefs Ramik, Hayes, Spangler, Neely, Zenk and Park, the Lodge had prospered to 427 brothers in 1940. During these years, the lodge functioned as a direct asset to the council and offered services wherever possible. It sponsored numerous social activities and many weekend camping trips. Throughout the winter, monthly lodge meetings were held for the transaction of proper business, and induction ceremonies were held at Camp during the summer.
Honor teams from Anicus Lodge traveled to Middleton, Ohio and Dubois, Pennsylvania to serve in the extension of the Arrow program by installing the Raccoon Lodge and Ah’tic Lodge.
In 1940 Anicus Lodge was honored by having been selected as the host to the National Lodge on the occasion of its Silver anniversary. The groundwork for this was laid in 1936 when 33 brothers journeyed to Treasure Island to make friends with the Unami Lodge and the various delegates to the National Meeting, and again in 1938 when a group of 53 traveled to St. Louis to renew acquaintances as guests of the Shawnee Lodge.
Nearly every troop in the East Borough’s Council had representation in Anicus Lodge which is evidence of not only good camping but also a willingness to serve those camps. With such a diversified happy family, Anicus Lodge prospered, but in a greater sense, it was each individual troop that reaped from the Order of the Arrow program. A longer tenure, an enthusiastic spirit, and a determined will to serve enriched the junior leadership and built up the Senior leadership of every Scout unit.
The Arrow is not built merely for the benefit of its own organization, but so that, ultimately, every boy may have the opportunity of real Scouting.
There is but one goal: Tomorrow’s America.
Tomorrow’s World must be better than that of today. Look to the boy and teach him:
“He who serves his fellow, is, of all his fellows, greatest.”